The Aviator's Wife: A Novel

The Aviator's Wife - Melanie Benjamin ***Received free from publisher in exchange for an honest review***Everyone has heard of Charles Lindbergh the Aviator....but who was his wife?This novel follows the life of the Lindbergh's through Anne Morrow Lindbergh's POV. It begins from the moment Charles and Anne met, her first impressions, the proposal, the wedding, the travelling adventures exploring and charting air routes for commercial flights, the birth of their first child Charles Jr, the kidnapping and murder of Charles Jr., the aftermath, the subsequent children, the constant moving, the disgrace, and the redemption.It also lets us peek into the inner workings of a marriage proposed after just three dates. The longing, the lonliness, the cruelty, the manipulation of a marriage that should probably never have happened. But it did, and we learn how Anne coped and made the best of the situation, taking comfort in her children during the long absenses of her husband.Toward the end, we learn of secrets. Secrets long kept quiet. Secrets that question the integrity of America's hero. Is Charles Lindbergh a hero? Or is he just an ordinary man after all....Though the subject matter was undoubtedly interesting, and the historical factual information well researched, I found the first half the book rather bland and dry. I couldn't seem to make a real connection with any of the characters or experience any of the emotions being described.Once the story progressed to the time of the kidnapping, it picked up and was hard to put down. I still never fully related to any of the characters though no matter how much I wanted to! Anne was always very complacent, with no voice of her own. It was maddening, infuriating! And it stopped me from connecting.Overall, it was an interesting read that shed light on a historical icon from a new perspective. I would not be the least bit surprised to see this book made into a movie in the near future. It would make a great screenplay! Anyone who enjoys a historical fiction based on fact would defInitely enjoy reading this!